Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Fahrenheit 451 # 5

*What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this story was when Guy Montag killed Captain Beatty because this was the point of no return. Guy Montag’s wife Mildred betrays him and puts in the alarm because she knew that Guy had books hidden in their house. This was one of the reasons that I hated Mildred. Anyhow, Montag had to burn his house by himself as he was told but he denied to do so and turned toward Beatty and killed him. He could not go back and revive Beatty’s life, the point of no return. The only thing he could do was regret. I was tremendously excited and nervous at the same time because when Guy listened to Faber, there was a tense moment as he was standing at the crossroads. However, when he had made up his mind, Guy did not know what he was doing himself. I thought that this part was very interesting because he was blinded by his anger and his revengeful thoughts that he went way beyond his limit. It was the point where he could not control himself and just let his body depend on the mere thought he had in his mind at that very moment—to revenge.
This novel made me feel sympathetic because of Beatty’s unfortunate death. I could have never guessed that Montag could kill Beatty because he was so naïve. He started having complex thoughts in his head after meeting the seventeen-year-old girl, Clarisse. I felt sympathy in Montag because he was weeping after what he had done to Beatty. It wasn’t much of his fault because he had lost the control to stop himself from committing a murder but it was partially his fault because it was him who had murdered Beatty. I felt sad in this particular scene because of the unexpected betrayal of Guy’s wife and the sudden murder scene of Beatty. This really showed the characteristics of a dystopian novel and I felt very gloomy about the events that had happened in this story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you that this is the climax. It is truly the point-of-no-return because like you said, he couldn’t revive Beatty again. Through his boiling, impulsive anger, he kills Beatty, and later, he regrets. Like you said, I felt sympathy for Montag and Beatty. Montag is betrayed by his wife, Mildred, and he is forced to burn his house by himself. I probably wouldn’t have been able to do it if I were him. I think Montag killing Beatty is totally his own fault because Montag chose to kill Beatty. He had the choice, and he shouldn’t have been angry enough to murder another person. Also, I thought Montag was stupid when he regretted killing Beatty. He made the choice, so he should live with it. Moreover, if he was going to regret, then he shouldn’t have made such a choice.
Overall, like you said, I thought it was gloomy and depressing because of the murders in this scene, as well as the theme portrayed. It definitely shows conveys a dystopian world.